1 someone who escorts and protects a prominent person [syn: bodyguard]
2 the act of accompanying someone or something in order to protect them [syn: accompaniment]
3 an attendant who is employed to accompany someone
4 a participant in a date; "his date never stopped talking" [syn: date]
1 accompany as an escort; "She asked her older brother to escort her to the ball"
2 accompany or escort; "I'll see you to the door" [syn: see]
Etymologyescorte, scorta a guard or guide, from scorgere to perceive, discern, lead, from ex out, quite + corrigere to correct, set right. See correct.
- A body of armed men to attend a person of distinction for the
sake of affording safety when on a journey; one who conducts some
one as an attendant; a guard, as of prisoners on a march; also, a
body of persons, attending as a mark of respect or honor; --
applied to movements on land, as convoy is to movements at sea.
- The troops of my escort marched at the ordinary rate. -Burke.
- Protection, care, or safeguard on a journey or excursion; as, to travel under the escort of a friend.
- A Ford Escort
A body of armed men to attend a person of distinction for the sake of affording safety when on a journey
Protection, care, or safeguard on a journey or excursion
A Ford Escort
- To attend with a view to guard and protect; to accompany as safeguard; to give honorable or ceremonious attendance to; -- used esp. with reference to journeys or excursions on land; as, to escort a public functionary, or a lady; to escort a baggage wagon.
Escort may refer to:
- Ford Escort (European), a motor vehicle
- Ford Escort (North American), a motor vehicle
- Escort vehicle, a vehicle that escorts oversize trucks or large vehicle convoys on highways
- Escort, a 16 piece disco band based from Brooklyn, NY
- "Escort" (The Sea and Cake song)
- The Escorts (Iowa band), a rock & roll band from Iowa
- The Escorts (Liverpool band), a Merseybeat group
- Escort (magazine), a British men's adult magazine
- Escort Group- An Industrial house in India into tractors and medicine
- Escort agency, a company that provides customers with companions
- Escort aircraft carrier, a small aircraft carrier used in World War II
- A warship assigned to protect merchant ships in time of war. For example, an Escort destroyer was a destroyer modified for and assigned to a fleet escort role in World War II
- Escort fighter, a World War II concept for a fighter aircraft designed to escort bombers
escort in German: Escort
accompany, attend, attendant, bear, beau, bodyguard, boyfriend, bring, carry, cavalier, chaperon, cicerone, companion, company, conduct, conductor, consort with, convoy, cortege, date, direct, duenna, entourage, esquire, fellow, fellow traveler, gallant, gentleman-at-arms, guard, guardian, guards, guardsman, guide, lead, leader, marshal, pilot, praetorian guard, protect, protection, protector, retinue, route, safe-conduct, safeguard, see, shepherd, show, squire, steer, swain, take out, usher, vis-a-vis, wait on, watch over, yeoman